Sunday, March 26, 2006

Yard Sale, Early Birds

Ms. Burrow, one of the managers where I work, will soon be moving to the Austin area. On Friday evening Michelle and I attended a goodbye party for her at a local Mexican restaurant, and afterward we all went to Dixie Dancehall. Once again I attempted to dance. Ms. Burrow tried to show me how to two-step, with limited success. At least nobody got hurt. I guess the older I get the less I worry about embarrassing myself in public - particularly after two margaritas, a shot of tequila, and a couple of beers.

We were out late but had to be up early the next morning because Michelle and I were having a yard sale. People around here take yard sales very seriously, and they came in droves. We even had a minor traffic accident on the street in front when one driver backed into another. Our signs said "Saturday Only," but eager shoppers were already arriving on Friday afternoon. Speaking of early arrivals, during the yard sale on Saturday I again heard a Northern Parula singing, and saw my first Yellow-throated Vireo of the season.

We were lucky to have chosen a perfect day to be outside, dry and pleasantly cool with clear skies. By noon most of the good stuff had been sold, and we were able to call it quits. Afterward we did a little shopping ourselves - I got a new drip line for the birdbath, which hopefully will attract more birds to the yard. Breeding activity has already begun. Eastern Bluebirds appear to be using one of the 3 nest boxes I've put up, and starlings and House Sparrows (a.k.a. K-Martins & Burger Kinglets) have been showing interest in our martin house. Unfortunately their presence may discourage any actual martins from nesting there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home