Thursday, January 18, 2007

ICE STORM 2007!

Ice Storm 2007 continues its rampage of destruction. In case you're concerned, Michelle and I are fine and in good spirits despite the grim hardships we've endured. I mean, it is sort of cold. Not real cold, not Minnesota cold, but certainly a bit chilly. Troy tells me conditions are icy at his home in Spring (near Houston), but at our house we still haven't had a freeze. There are even signs of spring - our Carolina jessamine is covered with fresh yellow buds, and I was surprised to see coral honeysuckle blooming in the nursery at Lowe's.

Found a dead Hermit Thrush in the driveway this morning, cause of death unknown. Perhaps a cat got it, or maybe it was crushed under one of our tires...or could it be a casualty of ICE STORM 2007? Had I seen it alive it would have been #128 for my year list.

Activity at our feeders remains high, with upwards of 40 birds at a time. The majority are Chipping Sparrows (see photo above). Below I've posted a few additional photos from Wednesday (Red-bellied Woodpecker, Brown Thrasher, and White-throated Sparrow).

1 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Larry said...

I'm a big fan of the Brown Thrasher.-They are less common around here but I'm fortunate to get them near where I live.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home