Thursday, May 27, 2010

Weekend Birding in Hardin County

Last Saturday I went on a Hardin County field trip with Golden Triangle Audubon Society.  I got to ride with the Wittles, and we drove Firetower Road and Gore Store Road north of Silsbee, making stops where the habitat was interesting and the birds were singing.  I don't think I've ever been on a field trip where tapes (antiquated term - we are firmly in the digital age now) were used so liberally, and thanks to which we obtained excellent views of most birds.  Highlights included a Swallow-tailed Kite and Greater Roadrunner (the latter heard cooing and seen only briefly).  Prairie Warblers, Yellow-breasted Chats, and Indigo Buntings were plentiful in shrubby places with young pines, a habitat that is also plentiful in that area.  Here's an Indigo Bunting attempting to evade my camera:
A Swainson's Warbler was heard along Gore Store Road, but playback of it's song failed to lure it into view (a couple who split off from the main group not only managed to see one, but got an envy-inducing  photo as well). The field trip ended at noon, with a Yellow-throated Warbler singing in pines at the Beech Creek crossing.

Early Sunday morning I saw a Swallow-tailed Kite from our backyard - they seem to be most everywhere these days.  That afternoon I almost stepped on this Ribbon Snake (harmless)  in our front yard:

I brought Lucy outside to see the snake.  She liked him well enough, but at a safe distance...

Not much else to report.  Weather has been hot and mostly dry.  Wednesday evening I saw an adult Broad-winged Hawk fly by our yard carrying some small prey item in its talons.   Mobs of White-winged Doves continue to crowd our feeders - recently I've counted upwards of 20 in and around our yard at one time. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home