Monday, July 07, 2003

Orange Birds

I work in the town of Orange, which is on I-10 just before it crosses the Sabine River into Louisiana. Apparently Orange's one noteworthy bird is the Fish Crow. About the Fish Crows of Orange, Edward Kutac, in his Birder's Guide to Texas, writes "they are regularly seen on shopping center parking lots." So much for birding in Orange.

Yes, there are Fish Crows in the parking lot where I work, but they aren't the only birds in town. There is often a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron standing in the median along I-10 near the 16th Street exit. Wading birds are constantly commuting over the store where I work. Great Egrets account for most of the air traffic, but I've also seen the occasional Roseate Spoonbill. Like anywhere else in East Texas there are Chimney Swifts and Great-tailed Grackles too. Yesterday I saw a Eurasian Collared Dove near the Taco Bell.

BOOM!!! I hear thunder again. Looking out the window I just saw a Swamp Rabbit near the road, Ruby-throated Hummingbird at the feeder, and a Brown Thrasher on the lawn. Pileated Woodpecker just called. Looks like it's gonna rain...again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home