Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Few More Backyard Birds

So far this spring, songbird migration on the Upper Texas Coast (High Island, Sabine Woods) has been slow & uneventful. Tedious, in fact. I base this comment on two disappointing trips of my own and the sort of tepid trip reports that I have been receiving from Texbirds lately.

So why drive all the way to High Island when I can see plenty of birds in my own backyard? I've yet to experience a real "fallout" at my house, but on a slow day the action around here can rival that at one of those more famous birding destinations.

Early on Saturday the 16th I found a singing Yellow-throated warbler working its way through the pines around the pond. Other birds seen that morning included a Mississippi Kite, a Yellow-breasted Chat (in a neighbor's yard), and Summer Tanagers.

Yesterday (April 18th) I spent some time birding and working around the house. A Great Crested Flycatcher and male American Redstart in the backyard were my best finds. Other goodies included several Little Blue Herons flying over, Broad-winged and Red-shouldered Hawks, large numbers of southbound (?) Tree Swallows, a lingering Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Summer Tanager, and Common Grackle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home