Monday, July 11, 2005

A Few Bird Notes

I recently added Yellow-crowned Night-Heron to my yard list (a much anticipated and long overdue fly-over). Michelle and I have also been seeing a couple of Pileated Woodpeckers around the yard lately. They seem to be particularly fond of the live oak beside the house, and this morning we got to watch one at close range from the kitchen window. A few days ago I saw one down on the ground in the front yard enjoying a dust bath (this was before the recent rains brought a sudden soggy end to our summer drought).

Yesterday I was working in Port Arthur when a Great-tailed Grackle got trapped inside the store. It caused a little excitement as it flew around crapping, scaring customers, and bouncing off our windows and mirrors. Finally it fell to the floor dazed and in shock. I picked it up and released it outside, but its chances are doubtful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home