Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sabine Woods, Post-Rita

On Monday I visited Sabine Woods for the first time since Hurricane Rita. As expected there was substantial loss of foliage, with the larger trees suffering the heaviest damage. The tall mulberries (which when fruiting can be full of migratory birds) were practically denuded. But the trails were well maintained, the boardwalk was in good condition, and contrary to what I'd been told there was water present, with a drip running to attract birds. Not that there were many birds to attract - the woods seemed almost empty of birdlife. I did see a Brown Thrasher, a White-eyed Vireo, a Northern Parula, and a few sparrows (Lincoln's, Swamp, White-throated), but not much else. Birders were even scarcer than birds, and the whole time that I was there I had the place entirely to myself.

Near Sea Rim State Park (which is still closed due to Hurricane Rita) I spotted my first Scissor-tailed Flycatcher of the season sitting on a wire. Later in the afternoon, while working in my yard, I saw a couple of Broad-winged Hawks, one of which was whistling loudly from a perch in our pecan tree. A party of Chimney Swifts flying over at evening were my first for this spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home