Sunday, August 06, 2006

In Search of the Inflatable Hedgehog

I recently posted a commentary on BirdForum's Ivory-billed Woodpecker thread, and received this in response:

It would be interesting to know what makes you someone "looking for Ivory-bills" while others are "cryptozoology types who are as likely to spend their spare time hunting for bigfoot."

In answer to this astoundingly obtuse question, I'm a birder. I spend a wee part of my time (much less than I would like) looking for real actual existing birds, not mythological birds or hypothetical primates. But maybe my interest in the Ivory-billed Woodpecker does put me in the crypto camp. To get some idea of what cryptozoology is all about, check out this site.

Note that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker does have a place in the cryptid menagerie...right behind the elusive Inflatable Hedgehog.

Sightings have been reported and I'm off to the Gobi Desert to begin the search. A creature that can inflate to the size of a yurt shouldn't be that hard to find.

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem, in my oh-so-humble-opinion, is that your post to Birdforum was way to reasoned for that group, esp. at this late stage of the arguing. Most of your comment went right over their heads. You just ended up provoking the ire of cinclodes who assumed you were calling him a cryptozoologist.

But that is worth something!

Listen, you are too important to the blogging world to worry with Birdforum. Instead, report on John Arvin's $100,000 effort to find the IBWO in Texas.

That is your mission, if you choose to accept it. And it doesn't even sound impossible to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home