Saturday, August 12, 2006

Woodpecker Sighting

Friday I worked in Vidor. The less said about that the better. But as I was leaving work to get some dinner I was surprised to see a woodpecker hurtling toward me. The first thing I noticed, aside from its obvious woodpeckeriness, was that it had conspicuous white secondaries. Black wings with broad white trailing edges could only be...Ivory-billed Woodpecker! Well no, it was just a Red-headed Woodpecker. And it landed on a pole exactly the way Red-headed Woodpeckers do.

Red-headed Woodpeckers like open areas with scattered trees and utility poles. At least based upon my experience that would seem to be their preferred habitat. I most often see them while driving. Lewis's and Acorn Woodpeckers in California also have a fondness for roadside utility poles. Just an observation.

Last summer it was Mississippi Kites. This summer we've got Broad-winged Hawks in our neighorhood. I frequently hear their shrill whistling when I'm outside. Probably nested nearby. Also had an adult Red-shouldered Hawk in our yard a few days ago. With all the raptors around I haven't been seeing many squirrels lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home