Saturday, July 21, 2007

Anahuac Photos

I had Friday off, and by some miracle I was able to escape my parental duties for a few hours of actual birding. I went to Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. Nobody goes there in the middle of summer. It's too hot and buggy and there aren't any birds. Everybody knows that. But contrary to popular wisdom it was overcast and cool, the bugs were hardly a bother, and there were birds. Lots of them. Bunches even. I had to practically kick Least Bitterns and Purple Gallinules out of my way. I took some pictures. And here they are...A Four-Spotted Pennant, methinks. I'm not so good at dragonflies.This watchful Raccoon was leading two cubs through the shrubbery.Found this Least Bittern perched out in the open, looking down its beak at me. Dime a dozen on the loop around Shoveler Pond.See - here's another one.Pretty Purple Gallinules too...Eastern Meadowlark - slow to a stop, roll down the car window, point camera and click...Eastern Kingbird - another drive-by shooting.Wouldn't be Anahuac without a few of these.

1 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we might have passed you on the road somewhere, John. A friend and I did parts of the Big Thicket and the Bolivar Peninsula on Friday. I really wanted to hit Anahuac too (we came down 124), but we had to make it back to Dallas by a somewhat reasonable hour. Now I guess I know what we missed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home