Monday, December 03, 2007

December in the Garden

Amazing. It's December and we still have flowers in our yard. Salvia, shrimp plant, turk's cap, roses, and camelias are all very much in bloom. How long it will last I don't know - the temperature is expected to dip tonight. Along with the flowers we have a few lingering hummingbirds, including a Selasporus type (probably Rufous) at our feeders yesterday, and an Archilochus type (probably Ruby-throated) there today. Incidentally, the genus Archilochus takes its name from an ancient Greek poet who was known for his satirical verse. Personally I don't see the connection.

I'm still occasionally hearing Red-breasted Nuthatch in and around our yard. White-throated Sparrows have finally returned, and a White-eyed Vireo was along our driveway on November 25th.

I may have been a bit hasty is my negative assessment of Riverfront Park. When trains aren't clanking through, which is almost always, it's possible to find a few birds there. Rock Pigeons and Great-tailed Grackles for the most part, but on my breaks I've also seen Downy Woodpecker, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Chipping Sparrows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home