Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Odd Crow Behavior

I heard my first Ruby-crowned Kinglet of the season in our yard this morning. Once again the return of a winter bird neatly coincides with the arrival of a cold front.

Later in the day I was returning home, and as I walked to our front door I was surprised to find a crow sitting on our birdbath. Surprised because it didn't immediately fly at my approach. I came to within a few feet of the birdbath, and still it didn't budge.

Appears to be the same young crow that I recently photographed on the road into our neighborhood. Because it was alone and fearless I at first assumed it to be sick. I now think it's more likely to be escaped from captivity. I put out some food for it, which it readily took.

I also may have erred when I initially identified it as a Fish Crow. We have both Fish and American Crows here, but unless they are calling I'm not confident of my ability to tell them apart. If anyone can determine which species it is from the photos please let me know.

The crow walked around our porch, allowing me to take some pictures at very close range. I went inside to get some food for it, but when I came back outside it was gone. Guess it got bored and flew off.

Later I heard a squeaky grosbeak-like call coming from the fruiting magnolias that border our backyard, and then saw two birds fly out of the trees. One perched where I could get a decent view, and sure enough it was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. The only other neotropical migrants seen around the house today were a few remaining Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and a single Broad-winged Hawk that was observed flying southward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home