Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Cooper's Hawk!

I just had an adult Cooper's Hawk fly across the backyard! Normally I wouldn't get very excited over a Cooper's, but it's a long overdue addition to the yard list. In fact it's almost ridiculous that it took me this long to get such a common migrant. Embarrassing really.

With the addition of Cooper's Hawk my yard list now stands at 123 species. Other birds in our yard this morning included Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at the flowers, and a Red-eyed Vireo that was plucking the red seeds from a magnolia fruit.

2 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Blogger Larry said...

Congratulations, that is quite a yard list! My yard list is about half of that.-I do have Cooper's Hawk though.Too bad you couldn't trade birds for one you need.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Tonna said...

Well, I never thought I'd be saying this either...but not only do I have a hawk (I think Cooper's)...but it's using my backyard as it's buffet! Now what? I actually got pictures of it devouring a dove yesterday and this morning I've awakened to two more piles of feathers. His appetite is insatiable. What do I do to discourage him? I've had Eastern Screech Owls in a nest for the past three years and am afraid he'll kill them too. Any ideas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home