Thursday, March 06, 2008

Ruby-throated Hummingbird is Back

Had our first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the season at our feeders on Wednesday. That's the earliest date I've got for a returning migrant by more than a week. It's that darn global warming I guess. We also still have a male Rufous hummingbird frequenting our yard. Spring comes early to Southeast Texas, and the azaleas and honeysuckle are already in bloom here. I know, I know...global warming again. It's the all-purpose useful explanation. If a bird is early or late it's due to global warming. If present or absent in winter, ditto. Cold fronts, heat waves, deluges, droughts - global warming, global warming, global warming, global warming.

The Ruby-throated Hummingbird makes 128 species for the year to date (pathetic). Only other recent addition to the year list was a Spotted Sandpiper at Riverfront Park in Beaumont on February 29th. My abortive attempt at a big year continues, if in name only. Coming soon - bird #129!

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Grant and Kathy Webb said...

John you are making me feel guilty. I am only at 117 bird for the year, and I am retired with no babies to take care of. Not to mention I am in Southeastern Arizona where I should be finding all kinds of birds. Admittedly we are a little early here and nights still drop into the 20s on occasion.

Grant

 

Post a Comment

<< Home