Friday, May 30, 2008

Bird Update

On Monday (5/26) I did some quick birding along Gore Store Road and Firetower Road north of Silsbee. At my first stop along Gore Store Road I heard a Prairie Warbler singing (bird #215 for the year list), and in a trashed-out clearcut along Firetower Road I had a Greater Roadrunner (#216). The last time I saw a roadrunner in Southeast Texas was in this same area back in the 1980s. Yellow-breasted Chats were abundant as usual in the yaupon thickets along Gore Store Road, which may be the easiest place in the world to find this shy species. Other birds seen there included Cooper's Hawk, Blue Grosbeak and Indigo Bunting. Golden Triangle Audubon has a field trip going there this weekend, but I'll be in Louisiana with Michelle and the babies for their first birthday bash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home