Saturday, July 05, 2008

Recent Birds, Goodbye Mr. Pipa

Time to get caught up on the bird news from my neck of the woods, which ain't much. On June 15 Michelle and I saw a flock of about 10 Wood Storks flying east over Highway 69 not far from home. Not-so-coincidentally a flock of similar size was reported the same day near Sour Lake, just a few miles to the west. On June 29 I saw a Mississippi Kite flying over our yard - bird #218 for the year list.

Pileated Woodpeckers have been more conspicuous in our neighborhood lately. I often hear them when I'm out in the yard. On the fourth of July I was down in the garage when Michelle spotted a couple in our front yard. She alerted me, and I grabbed my camera. The pair was actually part of a family of four, and I was able to get a few decent photos. They seem to be less wary when accompanied by young birds - at least that's been my experience.Here's a juvenile bird with some odd white splotches.Blurry photos taken from a distance really accentuate the extent of the white in the wings, but then we knew that, right?Pipa is gone. Between the demands of work, babies, and maintaining a household we didn't have enough time to devote to a dog, and the more we neglected him the worse his behavior became. Michelle found some nice people who will provide him with a good home and more attention than we could have given him. It's sad to see him go, but it's definitely for the best. Under the circumstances it would have been unfair to Pipa if we had kept him.

4 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Brenda K said...

you seem to be a bird buff. i have very little experience in bird watching but in the past week we found a nest of cardinals. i found your blog googleing baby cardinals. maybe you know? would a mama cardinal or daddy move the babies? we had a bad storm a few days ago and the next day the babies were gone. we figured they were probably about 5 days old. we still see the mama and papa but they have moved to a maple tree. they chirp whenever I go near and they are close by. makes us think they have the babies in the tree.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger John said...

Once they hatch I don't think the parents would move them (probably couldn't either). The babies leave the nest on their own and start following the parents as soon as they can, which is pretty early - they still look very juvenile and scruffy when they leave the nest. So I'm thinking they probably fledged, and are sitting in some trees or shrubs with their parents nearby protecting and feeding them as they did before.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's as if True Believer and Carpentario never left and hope was still alive and Fishcrow were still in the woods looking.

No wait....he is still looking!

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Mangrove Tom said...

Your blog is awesome. Sorry Mr Pipa had to find a new home; my bro's fam had to do the same with their dog when the Stork brought twins. Amazing your year list nearly trumps my life list, but I'm also a bird-n00b.

FYI: you can report anyone you see littering (intentionally or accidentally). There's a website and a phone #:
www.dontmesswithtexas.org/reportlitterer/index.php

Cheers!
Tom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home