Friday, September 12, 2003

Lizard Invasion

Occasionally I find a cockroach inside the house, but tonight it was a tiny baby gecko instead of an insect that was wriggling across the bathroom floor. I ran to the kitchen to get something to put it in, and found a second one on the kitchen counter! These are the first reptiles to be found inside the house, and the discoveries were made within seconds of each other! This can't be a coincidence, and where there are two there are probably many more. That they are entering the house may be a response to the heavy rain of the last 24 hours. The pond is full again, with water flowing over the spillway!

Today I saw a Belted Kingfisher at the pond - the first one I've seen here in months. A foraging flock that passed through the trees in my yard this afternoon included White-eyed and Red-eyed Vireos, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmouses, a Pine Warbler or two, and a couple of Summer Tanagers. Birds are definitely on the move and I'm starting to see the leaves turn to autumn colors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home