Monday, July 28, 2008

BIrds I've Seen While Not Birding, Etc.

I don't have much bird news to report. It's not because we're in the summer doldrums, I just haven't had time for birding. My binoculars have been in the closet since we got back from our last trip to Louisiana. Accidentally I still manage to see a bird now and then. On Saturday I was working in the yard and spotted an adult Swallow-tailed Kite circling to the northeast. Seeing one here is a rare and happy occurrence. I've also been seeing (and more often hearing) Mississippi Kites in the neighborhood, and suspect they are nesting somewhere in the vicinity. Yesterday a male Summer Tanager visited our birdbath, which has seen a lot of activity during this period of hot dry weather (we only got a few drops from the outer bands of Hurricane Dolly). That sums up all the "bird news" I have.

So what have I been doing? Caring for babies of course. They were in swim lessons last week. Both made it through the course without drowning (much). Been converting part of the garage into a workshop with Troy's help. A few other things have been going on, but I'll leave those for another time.

1 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where in the world am I?

I have a broad-winged hawk coming into my yard in the city. He flies into one of my trees. He screams his distinctive call. Any white-winged dove nesting in the limbs nearby leaves their nest and the broad-winged hops over to the the nest and devours the nestlings.

Cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home