Sunday, September 28, 2003

KKK In Lumberton, Birds In My Backyard

Today the Klu Klux Klan came to Lumberton in a gray bus decorated with confederate flags (on their peace, love and understanding tour, I presume). I was stuck behind them in traffic and had to change lanes to get around them, because rascists apparently drive very slowly. I saw them pull into the Market Basket parking lot...I guess even militant white supremicists need to eat.

Tonight it was dinner, drinks, and trivia at Bennigan's, listening to Merle Haggard, and reading about the nature/nurture debate. Did some yardwork today, raking up and burning a fresh harvest of fallen leaves...that's how you spend your day off when you have a huge lawn and lots of trees...

Some bird species are always present here, like the Carolina Chickadees that daily visit my feeders, and others only appear at irregular intervals, like the Inca Doves and Brown-headed Nuthatches that I saw on Friday. So what's with the corvids? Blue Jays have been unusually numerous and much more conspicuous around here lately, and considering the increase in air traffic that I've observed there must be some major movement going on. Lately I've also been seeing (well, actually hearing) more American Crows in the neighborhood. Until recently this species was one that I seldom encountered here (Fish Crows have generally been much more common).

Now there's only two things in life, but I forget what they are - John Hiatt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home