Monday, October 13, 2003

"The Big Sit"

Today I did the annual "Big Sit." Actually the sit wasn't so big (I could only spare a few hours before work), and I was standing the whole time, so "big sit" isn't a very accurate description of the event. Of course the action only started to pick up about the time I had to leave! From within my circle I managed to count 31 species, plus an unidentified buteo. As always, there were a few that got away. Some of the tiny treetop birds were frustratingly hard to see - I think I had a Philly Vireo, but I'm not 100% sure about that one. Here's the list:

American White Pelican - Flock of 15, new yard bird!
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Pileated Woodpecker - Twice seen flying across the pond
Northern Flicker - 3; new yard bird!
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
Northern Mockingbird
Gray Catbird
Swainson's Thrush - New yard bird!
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
European Starling
House Sparrow
Pine Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler - 1 (2-3 seen away from my circle)
Summer Tanager - 3+
Northern Cardinal
Baltimore Oriole - 2
Common Grackle

In addition I saw White-eyed Vireo and Northern Parula in my yard, but not while I was standing within my circle.

Saw a Swamp Rabbit from my kitchen window today. It did a funny little dance on its hind legs. Strange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home