Saturday, October 18, 2003

More Bird Migration, My Inscrutable Work Situation

It's October, so you never know what's gonna happen next.

Yesterday I had a few minutes to check on the birds in my yard, fortunately a flock chose to pass through right then. Saw Inca Dove, Red-eyed Vireo, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Tennessee Warbler, a few Black-throated Green Warblers (one was a male complete with the black throat), and an American Redstart...all hopping around in the same big tree.

The Cape Honeysuckles that I planted in the backyard earlier this year stopped flowering as soon as I put them in the ground. I was not happy about this. Both plants put on a lot of new growth, but no flowers. Now their foliage has thinned considerably, but there are bunches of red flowers at the end of the stalks...I have so much to learn about this gardening stuff.

Yesterday afternoon I drove to Houston, and strangely, it wasn't raining like it usually is. Played video games and threw the ball for Spot in the backyard til he was tuckered - happy dog. Troy finally has his dune buggy running again (best not to ask him how much it cost, or why he has more than one carburetor for it...), so we took a little drive "around the block," where we immediately got stuck in traffic. Longest short trip ever. Lesson learned: don't try to eat a whopper with cheese in a fast moving dune buggy. You will need extra napkins. Fortunately I had a change of clothes in my car.

Then I went with Troy & Elizabeth to see Reverend Horton Heat & Southern Culture on the Skids, who were playing at the Engine Room in downtown Houston. Both put on a great show. I've been a fan of SCOTS for a while, but I must say the Reverend really burned the house down. Throw Rag opened for's hard to hate a punk band that features a washboard player (?). Things started late (I mean aside from beer drinking), and we didn't get out of there until maybe 1am, by then I was sobered up but tired. Drove back home, fighting sleepiness with caffeine, loud music, & a chocolate milkshake.

About work, I was about to request a transfer, but I just found out today that I've been transferred...again. Nobody seems to know what's going on, maybe I'll find out tonight when I go in for my first graveyard shift at my new store, located in Port Arthur. I'm hoping that this means I'm going to a seven-days-on-seven-days-off work schedule, which would be really cool. Stay tuned.


Post a Comment

<< Home