Friday, March 18, 2011

FOS Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Saw my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the season from our kitchen window on the morning of March 16th. It was a male - these early arrivals always are. A moment later it was joined at the feeder by a second male, and they actually shared a peaceful moment, both sipping contentedly, without any violence erupting between them.

As I was leaving the house that morning I saw our wintering male Rufous Hummingbird at one of the front feeders. He seems to spend most of his time lurking in the middle of a big azalea (now in full bloom) along our driveway. As I approach the bush I almost always hear him buzzing somewhere deep in the vegetaton, and sometimes catch a glimpse of him as he disappears into the thicket. Like most of our winter birds, he probably won't be with us for much longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home