Sunday, May 02, 2004

On Yard Patrol Again

During a lull in yesterday's storm I went into my soggy backyard and did a little birding between the raindrops. Best find was a female Yellow Warbler in willows by the pond. Also had a brief look at a female Indigo Bunting.

Spent some time on yard patrol this afternoon. It was cool and windy (almost long sleeve weather) with no rain and just a few passing clouds. The pond has risen, which should make the fish happy. Turtles were lined up sunning on the fallen pine at the far end, and the resident Green Herons were chasing each other around as usual. For sky watching the best vantage point seems to be by my back gate. From there I saw adult & immature Little Blue Herons, Black & Turkey Vultures, 2 Mississippi Kites, 2 Broad-winged Hawks, a Common Nighthawk, and lots of Chimney Swifts and swallows (mostly Barn Swallows). The majority of these birds appeared to be northbound. Searching my yard and the area around the pond I also saw Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-headed Woodpecker, Great Crested Flycatcher, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Summer Tanager, and Orchard Oriole. A Tennessee Warbler was singing and foraging among the budding leaves of the pecan tree behind my bedroom.

Got a new dragonfly for the yard list - Common Green Darner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home