Monday, December 01, 2003

Birding At Anahuac N.W.R., Back To Work Tomorrow...

Saturday I drove to Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. The guy at the kiosk was a Brit, and he directed me to some patches of willows and salt cedars where there had been some action earlier. Checking it out I found a good assortment of passerines. These included a Blue-headed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, an Orange-crowned Warbler, Dark-eyed Juncos, and Swamp, Song, White-crowned, and White-throated Sparrows. Along the roads I saw the usual waterfowl and wading birds. A Peregrine Falcon was sitting in a flooded basin near the refuge headquarters, and an Armadillo let me snap off a couple of pictures before it scurried away.

Weather has been really nice lately, cool and crisp with clear skies. Today I raked the front yard and burned the leaves down by the pond. A Great Egret, an Eastern Phoebe, and an Orange-crowned Warbler were the only noteworthy birds seen here today. Tomorrow night it's back to work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home